Good morning my angels, i hope all are well. Firstly i have to apologise for the lack of posts on my blog, sometimes life just takes over and boy has it been a busy one for me!
I wasn’t very well, i was packing and actually moved flats, i had a lot going on at work, it was my birthday and i had two family weddings- so many things…Sometimes it’s just great to switch off, but i’m back now and full of energy!
Today i’m bringing you my delicious homemade energy balls. With the last two months i have just had i really needed something to perk me up, full of nutritious goodness and also serve as a healthy treat to help boost my immune system!
If you’re looking for something that’s full of flavour, a great mix of carbohydrates, protein and other yummy (great for your body and skin) goodness then look no further.
I looked on my cupboard and saw an array of great super foods; dates, figs, almonds, chia seeds, goji berries and a few other specific products like baobab and sunflower seeds that i purchased just for these little balls of goodness and thought why not give it a go!
All you will need is a blender, bowl and a baking tray with some parchment paper (don’t worry no actual baking is required and these babies take no longer than 10 mins to make)…
1. First i would take a packet of dates (de seed) blend up until soft (not too much to make them liquified) but soft enough to have that chewy, malleable consistency.
2. Add two tablespoons of coconut oil (this parts important is it will help keep your dates soft and squishable- needs to be in liquid form to help bind)… not sure squishable is a word but you know what i mean!
3. Blend all your other dry ingredients (this bit is totally personal to your taste) i used, goji berries, dried cherries, pistachio, almonds, glorious baobab, sunflower seeds and chia seeds (you can add any other superfood powders etc- whatever you like)…
4. Mix all your ingredients together and pour onto a surface (you are ready to roll your balls into circles)
5. Take some of the mixture (maybe a tablespoons worth) and mould into a circle with your hands once done pop on a tray and refrigerate for an hour and voila your energy ball is ready (step 6 is optional)
6. If you like add some desiccated coconut in a bowl and roll the ball in this gently (this is totally down to preference) i had my parents staying and they love coconut hence the addition for mine.
And that’s really it- after an hour the balls will have set in the fridge (move to a little container and keep refrigerated).
I made about 15 balls with my mixture but you can double up or make less depending on what you need.
These really are great, if you’re running late and don’t have time for breakfast, or if you need a quick energy pick me up before the gym or in the afternoon! They serve as a delicious alternative to that afternoon sugary snack and are FULL of nutritious goodness.
Some health benefits outlined below:
Dates- everyone knows these are full of so much goodness. Great sources of energy, sugar, fibre and essential minerals (calcium, iron, zinc, vitamins a and k and so much more)...
Almonds- these are so good at controlling blood sugar, but also FULL of anti oxidants which are essential for your skin; similarly Pistachios are high in Vitamin E which helps with skin elasticity!
Goji Berries- these are amazing at boosting the immune system and also helps promote healthy skin
I could really go on but the last two i will mention are;
Baobab- which is full of antioxidants and finally Chia Seeds which are FULL of anti-inflammatory goodness, prevents ageing and is proven to reduce skin redness
Ingredients as below:
Dates- 1 pack (i used 12 medjool dates)
Almonds- 1 small pack
Pistachio- 1 scoop
Baobab- 2 tablespoons
Goji berries- 1 scoop
Sunflower seeds- 2 tablespoons
Coconut Oil- 2 tablespoons
Chia Seeds- 1 scoop
Dried cherries- 1 small bag
Hope you enjoyed- this whole process will take around 10-15 mins and then you’ll have some lovely treats in the fridge that will hopefully last a little while (unless they are all eaten- which is highly likely given they are soooo tasty!
If you haven’t yet please subscribe to my blog or follow me on insta or twitter using the handle @sophsterldn
Pls leave the word goji berry in the comments below if you made it to the end and would like to see more of these types of posts xoxo